ALA Bodybuilding Benefits
- Alpha Lipoic Acid supplements benefit bodybuilding as a weight loss and recovery supplement.
- Enhances insulin sensitivity, improving the body’s ability to add lean mass and reduce fat.
- Helps prevent free radical damage after strenuous workouts.
- Increases the ability of other anti-oxidants to combat free radicals, and enhance recovery.
Alpha-Lipoic Acid is an Omega 3 fatty acid and anti-oxidant. It has recently become a very popular weight loss and bodybuilding supplement.
Due to the intense physical stress from activities such as weight training or cardio sessions, these strenuous activities can cause extreme oxidative damage, letting many free radicals loose inside the body.
See also Fish oil for another Omega 3 source.
Alpha Lipoic Acid Supplement Bodybuilding Dosage*
500 to 1500 mg per day.
Some of the many Health Benefits of ALA:
- Decreases the chances of developing Alzheimers and Parkinsons Disease.
- Counteracts the problems associated with macular degeneration.
- Helps control high cholesterol
- Helps control high blood sugar (diabetes).
- Prevents hardening of the arteries and conditions associated with aging.
What is Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA)?
See Wikipedia article on Alpha Lipoic Acid.
Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA), or simply lipoic acid, is a sulfur bearing compound with antioxidant properties; it plays roles in energy metabolism.
ALA is a very potent anti-oxidant that helps enhance the usage of vitamins C, E, and glutathione in the body. ALA is found in foods such as potatoes, carrots, yams, and red meat, and is synthesized in the human body.
Health Benefits of Alpha Lipoic Acid
Lipoic acid can repair free radical damage at the cellular level, keeping your cells healthy which aids in the absorption of nutrients. Alpha lipoic acid assists in converting carbohydrates to energy, improves metabolism and stabilizes blood sugar levels.
Because of the positive effects alpha lipoic acid has on the stabilization of blood sugar and repair of free radical damage, lipoic acid is of particular benefit for diabetics or those at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. Those with immune deficiencies such as HIV or cancer have found ALA very useful as well. Alpha lipoic acid also acts as a powerful liver detoxifier (beneficial to those with hepatitis), and has also been found to reduce and even prevent retinal degeneration.
Alpha Lipoic Acid, when taken in the recommended bodybuilding dosages, can be a potent addition to your supplement arsenal due to its benefits to bodybuilding and general health.
*Dosages are only general recommendations. Always check with your Physician and product label before taking any supplement or medication.